Hello SPMABC Members!
KPU will once again be offering the Professional Pest Management Module 1 training this year from Feb. 18-20, however, this time, due to COVID-19, it will be delivered online.
KPU Professional Pest Management | Module 1
The Professional Pest Management (PPM) course was designed for industry professionals and anyone interested in learning more about pest management. The content was created by Dr. Cameron Lait, a respected entomologist and co-chair of KPU’s School of Horticulture. This course is recognized by the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) and students who successfully complete Module 1 will receive five credits towards their pest applicator license recertification.
Module 1 includes online lectures, lab demonstrations and quizzes delivered over three days. Students will need access to a computer with a microphone and web cam, as well as high speed internet to participate in classes. Students are encouraged to review lecture slides prior to each class and be prepared to discuss. There will be a brief quiz at the beginning of each class to review material from the previous day. At the end of the three-day training, there will be an exam to test your knowledge of all of the content covered.
Content Module 1
- Basic insect biology
- Survey of important structural pest orders and families
- Pest behaviour
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) philosophy and practices
- Basic pesticide chemistry, safety and regulations
- Professionalism and safety protocols at the work site
Participants who successfully complete the course will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify key morphological features of arthropods
- Understand basic insect biology
- Understand integrated pest management principles
- Recognize insect behavior as related to structural pest management
- Manipulate live or preserved specimens without damage
- Identify arthropods from live or preserved specimens to Order or Family using a range of resources and keys
- Recognize the hazards associated with the use of chemical pesticides
Who Will Benefit
- Professional Pest Managers
- Pest Control Technicians
- Public Building Managers
- Landscape Managers
- Environmental Advocates
- Childcare Safety Advocates
- Regulatory Personnel
Tuition cost: $375 (plus GST)
Instructor: Dr. Cameron Lait, BSc (Biology), PhD (Major Plant Biochemistry & Physiology)
Dates: Feb. 18, 19 & 20, 2021 (We, Fr, Sa) | 9:00 am-3:30 pm
CE Credits: 5 industry-recognized credits issued by the SPMABC
For any questions regarding the course please contact email@example.com.